NISE™ – Better Answers to the OR Nursing Shortage
The Association of PeriOperative Nurses (AORN) reports that as of 2018, the average age of OR nurses are late fifties and approximately 20% of the perioperative nurses will retire within the next five years. That means that the next seven years are critical in the training of new perioperative staff. It is becoming more important that facilities plan for the growing demand of perioperative nurses and the need to pass the knowledge torch to the novice nurse.
NIFA®, in collaboration with the Competency & Credentialing Institute (CCI), has created Nurse in Surgery Essentials™ to educate nurses new to the surgical environment. This course will be an asset to recruiting and retaining perioperative staff as well as making the transition to practice easier for the novice nurse.
“… I thought the journal questions were good and liked how they tie into being in rooms instead of just “book” questions. I also thought the competencies were very well done and were a lot more in-depth then I was expecting. It was a pleasant surprise. It’s also easy to follow…”
Erin, OPS/OR Supervisor, California
NISE™ – Evidence-based and Psychometrically Sound Learning Tool
Unlike any other course for novice nurses, the NISE™ course materials are based on the recent Job Analysis findings for CNOR® credentialing, administered by the CCI. The Job Analysis process allowed for input from a nationwide, representative group of CNORs and was conducted within the guidelines of professionally sound practice, using a multi-method, scientifically rigorous approach to identify the tasks and knowledge that are important to the competent performance of qualified perioperative nurses.
Course quiz and exam questions were developed by the CCI using the same methods for development as the CNOR® certification exam questions. Our intent is to facilitate the career development of the learner leading to testing for CNOR® certification. *
Additionally, NISE™ Competencies were developed by the Education Division of the Competency & Credentialing Institute. Required competencies validate the student’s knowledge, skills, and attitudes; all traits that promote safe patient care.
* CCI neither sponsors nor endorses training or educational opportunities in specialized practice areas or preparatory courses for any of the CCI examinations. CNOR® is a registered trademark of the Competency and Credentialing Institute (CCI). All rights reserved. CCI administers the CNOR® exam.
NIFA® and the Competency & Credentialing Institute (CCI)
NISE™ is an evidence-based course presented in a structured online format using materials that was developed in a partnership between NIFA® and the Competency & Credentialing Institute (CCI) to provide the fundamental skills and knowledge which are the foundation of the perioperative nursing practice. The collaboration with CCI is planned and purposeful.
NISE™ Course Offerings
The Advantage Gold option is for the facility that wants assistance and personalized support with their perioperative training program. NISE™ Administrators are available to help alleviate the workload of facility educators and management by providing 40 hours per week support for the learner and staff. This allows the facility educator and management to devote time to the multiple other requirements they may have. NISE™ Administrators are in contact weekly with the facility. Advantage Gold features include:
- NIFA® Administrators are available for learners and preceptors 40 hours per week for questions related to testing, reading assignments, or course requirements.
- NIFA® Administrator monitors and provides a weekly report of learner progress to the Preceptor (preceptors must successfully pass the NISE™ Preceptor Certificate Exam (PE™) prior to learner engagement in the course) and/or Facility management.
- NIFA® provides and requires Competencies for each learner. Competencies were developed by the education department of the CCI specifically for the NISE™ course learner.
The Advantage Bronze option is for those facilities that have a desire to continue using a familiar education style with a new format and course materials. All administrative duties are provided and maintained at the facility level. Advantage Bronze features include:
- Facility designated Administrators and Preceptors are responsible to be familiar with NISE™ course content and learner requirements.
- Each facility designated Preceptor must successfully pass the NISE™ Preceptor Certificate Exam (PE™) prior to learner engagement in the course.
- All facility learners are required to complete Competencies that were developed by the education department of the CCI specifically for NISE™ course learners.
- Facilities provide Administrator(s) and Preceptors who are to be available for learner questions related to testing, reading assignments, or course requirements.
Taking on the Administrative Role
Consistent training of employees results in consistent care for your patient population. NISE™ assumes the Administrator role on your behalf leaving your OR staff/Educators time to focus on other tasks and departmental needs.
- We have Administrators on staff to handle multiple learners and are available to the facility administration, preceptors, and learners 40 hours per week.
- NISE™ provides mentoring and monitoring on a weekly basis. This timely monitoring helps ensure the learner completes the program and is competent in their skills while meeting the requirements of the course.
- Weekly progress/status reports can be provided to not only the learner, but also management and the facility preceptor fostering collaboration and success.
Licensing is Valid for a Period of 4 Years
Each license purchased is valid for a period of 4 years. Within the 4-year duration, the learner has 8 months to complete the course. 8 months will allow adequate exposure to topics associated with perioperative nursing. This additional time may be utilized to provide the learner exposure to perioperative areas such as the Sterile Processing Department, Preop, and PACU, making them a well-rounded, knowledgeable staff member.
Learning the Role of Perioperative Nursing
NISE™ is an easy to follow, user-friendly online course that will guide the learner from novice to advanced beginner. NISE™ was developed as a unit-based program that provides the tools necessary in learning the role of perioperative nursing.
The learner will have online, didactic assignments as well as hands-on learning experiences. The hands-on learning experiences will be at the facility with the guidance of a facility designated preceptor and facility staff. The learner will be able to incorporate the evidence-based learning into their daily exposure within their facility.
Easy to Navigate Online Course
The NISE™ Course is structured around 6 units covering 29 topics with a user-friendly interface for ease of navigation. Each user is required to complete Unit 1 and then may follow in sequence or choose the next unit assignment, depending upon the individual learner and facility.
At the completion of the course, there is a comprehensive, proctored examination. By utilizing CCI developed questions, the learners are exposed to the style of questions encountered when taking the CNOR® certification exam.
The learner has access to 40-hour per week course Administrators and mentors. They will receive weekly progress reports to help successfully complete the course. These weekly reports are also shared with the preceptor and facility manager. Upon successful completion of the course, the learner will be awarded 70.8 CEs.